Wednesday evening our family participated in house church and had a good discussion around James 1.
Thursday my 16-year old son interviewed with Walgreen’s and came away with a new part time job. Next week he’ll be starting there as a service clerk a couple of days each week. Ah, the hurdles of growing up!
My time in Scripture this week produced the following thoughts:
- Jesus was baptized, called some disciples, began teaching and healing, went to a solitary place to pray, which are all good examples for us (Mark 1)
- Folly is undisciplined and without knowledge (Proverbs 9:13)
- Jesus was associated with sinners…they were/are the ones who need him. Jesus was angry and distressed about people with stubborn hearts (Mark 2)
- Laziness makes poor, diligence brings wealth (Proverbs 10:4)
- In Mark 4 we read the story of the farmer sowing seed, some seed the birds ate, some seed fell on rocky soil, some seed grew among thorns and eventually were choked out, and some seed landed in good soil and produced a harvest
- Some people are seeing but not perceiving, some people are hearing but not understanding (Mark 4:12)
- Leviticus is just so full of rules and regulations; thank God we’re not under that system!
- People were amazed at the wisdom of Jesus; he was amazed at their lack of faith (Mark 6)
- You rebuke and discipline men for their sin; you consume their wealth like a moth – each man is but a breath (Ps 39:11)